Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Fishing Excursion

I am not a fisherman. I just am not that into fishing. I have never really quite understood the whole thing. Now, I love to eat fish, especially the kind I can catch around here on the Delta. And I do enjoy throwing a line into the water in hopes that a fish will bite. But I am still baffled by people who are really into fishing.

That said, some friends of mine decided to take an overnight fishing trip up the Little Kasigluk River. They invited me to come along and I welcomed the chance to be outdoors and sleep in a tent. I did not realize at the time what sort of fishing trip I had gotten myself into. Little did I know that I was going to a place so wealthy in its abundance of enjoyable fish to catch. Apparently, it is the type of place that uber-into-fishing-fishermen pay thousands of dollars to hire a guide and be flown to location on a float plane. I was told the particular section of the Little Kasigluk that we went to was particularly good for Rainbow Trout, Dolly Vardon, and Grayling. And, in hindsight, I suppose it was true because we caught a lot of fish.

The Crew

Ross Boring: Knowledgeable River Traveler
& Avid Fisherman

Corey Tolliver: Boat Owner & Avid Fisherman

Dave Cronk: Also Knowledgeable River Traveler
& Avid Fisherman

Myself: Self-Appointed Camera Man
& Non-Fisherman

This trip too had a rough start to it. Corey called me, as I drove to meet him at the harbor, that his boat wouldn’t start and that he was fixing it at his place. Disappointed, I went home and read my classwork for a while. About two hours later, Corey called me and told me that his boat was fixed. Quickly we assembled and got the boat in the water. Corey owns a 20 ft Lund boat with a 115hp 2-stroke motor. It got on step quick, even with 4 guys and a sizeable load of gear. But when we were going slowly we sat lower in the water because of all the weight. It’s a good size boat with a good size motor, with a nearly a flat bottom for going up small rivers.

(Gearing up at the boat harbor)

Just above Kwethluk is the mouth of two rivers that join together right at the end, the Kasigluk and Kisaralik. Both rivers flow nearly parallel to each other. At a couple places they actually have cut over so close that a channel has opened up and it possible to switch from one river to the other by boat. So, when we reached the mouth we took the right Y, which was the Kasigluk River. It was wide at the mouth but the further you travelled up it, the more narrow and twisting it became. It also became much shallower, with mud flats at the beginning and gravel bars later on.

Hitting a mudflat or gravel bar is extremely easy to do if one doesn’t know the river or know how to read the river. By read, I mean look at the shoreline and surface disturbances to determine where the main channel is. In every river there is a main channel that is usually deep enough for a boat to pass through, often at least 3 feet deep if not many more. However, one has to know what signs to look for. The surest sign is to always stick close to the cut bank side of the river. Cut banks form where water is pushing against the outside shore of the river as it goes around a curve, cutting a wall into that side of the shore and digging a deep channel on the river bed. Opposite of cut banks on a curve are generally shallow spots, where mud or gravel is deposited. By driving a boat close to cut banks and away from the opposite shoreline, one can general guess where the main channel will be. Still, one needs to know how to spot shallow water by its surface movement and to judge just how wide the main channel is based on the tightness of the river curve. It takes some impressive driving to make it far up some of these rivers.


(Ross at the helm)

Ross knew the place we were going to and he also knew the river best. After a while of driving up the Kasigluk, he took over from Corey because it took some more expertise in river boating. He pulled some impressive moves with a large hefty boat on a small river. Still, we hit gravel bars often. Corey, Dave, and Ross all had waders on so they just hopped out and tugged the boat off the shallows. I, not being a fisherman, do not own waders and so had to sit in the boat. I felt a bit useless at times. Once, we sucked some mud up into the water intake and had to clear it from the line. On our way up we also passed a couple friends, Andrew and Kristie, that were exploring the Kasigluk River. Eventually, after navigating some 50 miles of the shallow, gravel bar filled Kasigluk River, we reached the Little Kasigluk. Our campsite, Ross told us, was just about ½-1 mile up that even shallower river.


(Ross pulling some impressive river driving.
At the very end we hit a gravel bar. Note the
sound of the propeller hitting the gravel)

We slowly cruised and pulled our way that short distance and got to the campsite. We tied off to a steep embankment and climbed up to a nice flat spot of solid ground. Ross pitched his large tent canopy and we all pulled out some beer. Immediately Corey, Dave, and Ross threw in their fishing lines and from the start they were hit fishing. Ross says that this one particular hole, on this particular horseshoe bend in the river, is the best place. I cannot doubt him because of all the fish I saw brought up and all the talk of how big the fish were for their species. I grabbed a line and threw it in for a while, pulling in a few Dollys and some Graylings. One thing I didn’t realize about the trip was that it wasn’t for food gathering, but rather catch-and-release. I do wish we would have ate more of the fish that we caught out there but that is how they fish I guess. In any case I caught more fish on a rod and reel than I ever have in my entire life.


(Corey & downstream view from campsite)



(Ross cooking, Campsite, & upstream view)

(360 degree view of campsite)




(An industrious beaver)


(Smaller rainbow trout)



(Some of the best fishing was right off the boat)

We pretty much proceeded to get drunk and fish. There was a lot of rum and some whiskey involved and by the end of the night everyone was feeling pretty good. Someone ended up fatally wounding a Dolly Vardon with their hook so we ended up cutting it up to try. I must say, it was delicious. We cooked up some bratwursts and ate those too. Dave brought some excellent fish strips and some salmon spread. It was a camping feast. Of course, the mosquitoes were horrendously bad but some powerful bug spray did the trick, it really was it a life saver.



(Mmmmm...Dolly Vardon)

The next day we all woke up early and a little hung over. One thing I have found though, is that I often feel much better waking up hung over when I’ve slept outside rather than inside. Dave was first to get a hook in the water and his first catch was the biggest Rainbow trout of the trip. Corey became pretty intent on catching one bigger. Ross stayed at camp for a while as the rest of us walked to the opposite side of the horseshoe bend and fished during our walk back along the shore. The morning was beautiful, clear, and warm.


(Corey with his bear protection, a .44 magnum)

(Dave trying his luck on opposite side of the horseshoe bend)


(Dave with a large Rainbow Trout)


(A Grayling that I caught)


(Fishing different holes on our walk back to camp)

When we got back to camp we noticed there were lots of Grayling hanging out under our boat. You could basically just drop a line over the side and pull up a good size fish. Then, I remembered that my camera is waterproof. I stuck it underwater while Dave dropped fish egg bait nearby. I tried to film them as they ate and I think it turned out really well actually.

(Fish video 1)


(Fish video 2)

Around noon we began to break camp to head back down river. We loaded the boat up again and slowly floated back down the Little Kasigluk and then to the Kasigluk. Again, Ross took the wheel because he knew best how to drive those waters. When going down river there is less control than going up so we took it easy and went slowly through the most difficult stretches. Even still we got stuck a number of times. Each time we’d lift the prop and the other guys would hop out and pull the boat out of the shallows. When we came around a gravel bar, we spotted Andrew and Kristie again so we stopped to talk to them. We walked around the gravel bar for a bit and noticed on one part that there were some grizzly bear tracks. I was told that prints that size were from about a 10 foot bear. We continued our float, eventually making it to deeper water so we were able to speed up. We turned into one of the channels to cut over to the Kisaralik River next to us. It was narrow and fun to drive through, but a beaver dam cut it all off. It completely blocked the way so we had to turn around and take the Kasigluk all the way. As we went, the weather worsened, becoming very windy and rainy once we reached the main Kuskokwim River again.

(Slowly making our way back down river)


(Bear tracks on a gravel we stopped at)


(Corey & Dave removing a clog from the water intake)

By the time we reached Bethel after 4 hours of river travel, I was pretty cold and wet. But I really enjoyed myself. It was a blast to get out on the river and cruise around. Plus to be outdoors again, it was so nice. It was also a good chance to test out my camping gear before this summer when I will really be using it. And fishing, well I was immersed in fishing much longer than I ever had before. It was an interesting experience, one that I think I wouldn’t mind involving myself with again in the near future. Although I have a LONG way to go before I could call myself a fisherman.



2 comments:

  1. It's much more fun when you can actually catch some fish (unlike Big Lake). Glad you had fun and didn't run into that bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things.
    fishing tackle online store

    ReplyDelete